why unable to get App Name from xap?

Feb 10, 2012 at 3:54 AM

How come the app displays the GUID instead of the XAP name (I know, I know, unless installed via this app)?  Are the app names not able to query/get from xap file?

I was JUST saying to myself tonight, it's too bad I don't have a way to see the four apps I have installed on my phone from THIS specific solution I'm "playing" with so I can easily and quickly uninstall!  Low and behold I find a great tweet about it!  This is so cool!  Keep up the great work!

Coordinator
Feb 10, 2012 at 8:27 AM

Hey Peter,

Reading the name from the xap is exactly what we do - at install (or update) time we extract the name, associate it with the xap's GUID and remember it for next time. Unfortunately once the xap is already installed there is no way to query the device to get the app name - there is an API for this in CoreCon but it isn't implemented on WP), and I can't get to the manifest on disk since it is in a protected path.

This is an unfortunate limitation which is a pain to live with, but unfortunately not much we can do about it at this point. I'm pushing for this to be in vNext :)

Glad to hear you like the project - feel free to get in touch with any extra bits of feedback!

Oren

Feb 11, 2012 at 9:34 PM

re once it's installed, not much that can be done

DOH! LIke you, I'm thinking they'll open up/make some API to get that name. There has to be a way?

re feel free

Thank you very much! I'm going to blog about it soon enough as well! Have a good weekend.

----------------------------------------------

Peter Henry

http://www.PCHenry.com

Sent: Friday, February 10, 2012 3:28 AM
To: peter.henry@pchenry.com
Subject: Re: why unable to get App Name from xap? [wptools:301830]

Hey Peter,

Reading the name from the xap is exactly what we do - at install (or update) time we extract the name, associate it with the xap's GUID and remember it for next time. Unfortunately once the xap is already installed there is no way to query the device to get the app name - there is an API for this in CoreCon but it isn't implemented on WP), and I can't get to the manifest on disk since it is in a protected path.

This is an unfortunate limitation which is a pain to live with, but unfortunately not much we can do about it at this point. I'm pushing for this to be in vNext :)

Glad to hear you like the project - feel free to get in touch with any extra bits of feedback!

Oren