N00b Question regarding Windows 7 OS/Win8 Phone Power Tools

Feb 12, 2014 at 11:12 PM
Hello - I apologized for the noob question. Here is my scenario. I want to do some testing on a Win8 Phone app for a client (not from the store as it's not in production yet). I basically want to load the app and view its isolated storage to make sure sensitive data is not being stored. I have a nokia lumia 925 phone but might also go the emulator route if easier.
  1. Can I load Win8 Phone Power Tools on a Windows 7 box?
  2. Do I need to load the Win8 SDK and if so, will that work on a Windows 7 box?
  3. Do I need to have the Win8 phone (Nokia Lumia 925) unlocked to view my apps isolated storage?
Thank you.
Feb 20, 2014 at 1:44 PM
There's a version of the WP8 SDK installable on Win7 (it's a modified installer, should be safe but use at your own risk) available on the XDA-Developers forum. Once you've installed that, WP8 Power Tools will install and run fine. Note that doing this means you can't use the emulator; the "emulator" is actually a fancy Hyper-V image, and Hyper-V will not run on Win7.

You will need to dev-unlock your phone both to install the development .XAP file, and to view its isolated storage. Dev-unlock is achieved using the Windows Phone Developer Registration tool on the PC. It is installed with the SDK (and works on the Win7 version). If you already have a WP Store developer account, use that one for the unlock (it will allow you to sideload up to 10 apps at once), otherwise, use any Microsoft account (non-store accounts are free but only allow 2 sideloaded apps at once).
Feb 20, 2014 at 4:47 PM
Thank you so much. I really appreciate your help. In terms of dev unlocking the phone do I need to have a sim card in the phone and phone number associated with it? Or can I just use the phone with wifi enabled and no sim card activated?
Mar 27, 2014 at 7:25 PM
No problem. You do require Internet access, but WiFi is fine. I've unlocked test devices without a SIM many times.